Sunday, March 16, 2008

Arizona Antique and Classic Motorcycle Enthusiast's Show



So, the rain that was in the forecast never showed, but for Phoenix it was cool. It was probably 50 or so with a pretty good breeze, a good day to wear leathers and actually leave them on when not on the bike.

I didn't know what to expect out of this show but I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't count the number of entries, but I'm guessing it was around 75 or so. A couple that stood out to me were two Brough Superiors , a '67 BMW R/50 and a '76 Kawasaki KZ 900. The Brough Superiors caught my eye cause I'd never seen one in person, and both were nicely restored. The BMW stood out for a couple of reasons: one, it was completely original, even the tires, and two, I have ridden a '65 R/60 that was original, and it brought back some fond memories. The KZ 900 made me feel a bit old. My first bike was a '78 KZ 650 and was only a few years old when I got it. It kinda shocked me to realize the bike I tooled around on in High School is now considered an antique. There were plenty of other great bikes, and there were a good amount of people. The only regret I have is not taking enough pictures.

After the show it was off to lunch at Delux. A really good burger, but a bit pricey. It was $50 for lunch for three of us. It was a nice day for a ride and uneventful except for having to take evasive maneuvers on two separate occasions, both in parking lots. I don't know if its the engineering of parking lots or if its just people losing their brains, but it seems I have more problems in parking lots than anywhere else.

No comments: